Sunday, December 14, 2008

The doctor's prescription

I saw my doctor yesterday. He told me, asthma comes 90% from what we inhale, and not so much from the food we eat. He however warned me against eating chicken, egg, and spicy food since these are allergenic. He also checked my lungs and found that they were clear. He reminded me that it is important to be very careful of my health especially during this time (December) when the weather suddenly changes from hot, humid, to cold.

He prescribed three medicines:

1. Seretide 25/250 mg inhaler.

2. Ansimar (400 mg) 20 tabs.

3. Tergecef (200 mg) 14 tabs.

Seretide, I should take two puffs twice daily. But since I know that seretide is a potent steroidal drug, I am going to modify his instructions to 1 puff twice a day. He warned me against abruptly stopping taking seretide. I forgot to ask why.

Ansimar, I should take twice daily also: ½ tablet after breakfast and ½ tablet after dinner. He advised me to take Ansimar for two months, if I need to. Also, Ansimar will be my maintenance drug. So, everytime I feel any shortness of breath, just have to pop 1/2 tablet of it.

Tergecef (Cefixime) is an anti-biotic to prevent my sore throat from crawling down my lungs. I should take a capsule twice a day for 7 days. I modified this instruction of his to only 5 days. I will be ok by then.

Seretide costs P1,310.

Ansimar costs P775 at 38.75 per tablet for 20 tablets.

Tergecef (Cefixime) costs P1,300 at 130 per tablet for 10 tablets.

All in all, the medicine costs P3,385 pesos, excluding my P500 check-up fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment